10.17.2009

Surprising Reports of Racism in a Complelely Unsurprising Location

And in local news - and when i say "local" i mean "if u live in a backwoods swamp and find the guitar strumming from "Deliverance" to be soothing" ...

According to an article in the AP a Justice of the Peace in New Orleans refused to marry an interracial couple based on his "concerns for any children the couple might have."


The Justice of the Peace, Keith Bardwell, employing the considerable knowledge acquired from a 3 decades long subscription to Field & Stream and a love of "The Jeffersons" on Nick-at-Night, has come to the conclusion that children of interracial couples are not accepted by that of black society nor their white counterparts.


When reached for comment, President Obama was quoted as saying "what's that you say now?"


Bardwell went on to defend his scholarly assessment by stating "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."


Cos nothing quite extends the olive branch and quells centuries of racial animosity like keeping black people in piles or allowing them to defecate in one's home.


While most would site the Loving v. Virgina case of 1967 that ruled anti-miscegenation laws unconstitutional, legal scholars agree that the civil rights movement made its greatest strides via the historic "he's not racist cos he let me drop a deuce v. Alabama" case - decided 4 years earlier.



Read the AP story

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jy_z-Zo4fvJEf2TK1LCiiPIe9NDwD9BBNUJ80

3 comments:

Renee Summers said...

I can't stop laughing. Seriously. Though it's a laughter tinged with melancholy as I recognize the depressing implications of why exactly it is that I'm laughing...

Love this. I want to read more.

Renee Summers said...

also-- wanted to ask your permission: can I list your blog under my 'Blogs I read' section?

:)
~ r

Unknown said...

Nice. I finally logged in so that I could locate your post, Mr. Harker.